Over the past few weeks, Ryerson’s criminology department held two ‘Lunch and Learn’ sessions with professionals working within the criminal justice field. Representatives from Ontario’s Ministry of Revenue, CSIS, CSC and the OPP all presented career information and upcoming opportunities for students. In case you missed the sessions, keep reading for some helpful links and facts that were provided.
Ministry of Revenue
- They offer intern positions for newly graduated alumni.
- They stress the importance of volunteer experience.
Why work for the ministry?
- They offer a work-life balance.
- There are 60,000 jobs within the public sector. (Careers for life!)
- They have competitive salaries.
- Offer a defined retirement plan.
Check out their opportunities for summer employment and permanent: HERE
Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS)
- This organization deals with threats to national security.
- They are not a legal authority.
- It takes approximately 6 months to 1 year to get hired.
- The application process is very lengthy and thorough.
- There is no physical examination part of the application process.
- Being bi/multi-lingual is an asset.
Check out their opportunities: HERE
Correctional Service of Canada (CSC)
- Manages people sentenced to two years or more in prison.
- They are hiring for both parole officers and correction officers.
- Must have at least a G license.
Check our their current opportunities: HERE
Ontario Provincial Police (OPP)
- Currently recruiting for staff.
- Postings can be throughout the province if Ontario.
- Ensure that you consider the risks involved with this profession in regards to yourself and your family.
Take a look at their website: HERE OR call recruitment directly at 1-877-OPP-HIRE.
I hope this information helps you!